Google rolled out a brand new Chome computer called Chomebook on June 15 (2011). Many are comparing it to the iPad, the number one tablet in the market. Some so-called â€˜expertsâ€™ are even saying that the iPad does not even stand a single chance against the Chromebook.
So, what is a Chromebook?
Basically, it is a cloud based computer packed into the shell of a mini laptop. Everything resides in the cloud. The laptop is said to have amazing battery life and even noobs cannot screw it up.
How does it compares to the iPad?
Google is pricing it very aggressively. The Wi-Fi only models will be available for just 430 dollars and will be on sale on both Amazon as-well-as BestBuy. The ones with 3G modules built in will retail at 500 dollars which is the price of entry level iPad 2.
Another thing you can with Chromebooks is renting them. You can pay 28 dollars per month (20 dollars if you are a student). Hardware replacements will be done in case of failures and new versions. Unfortunately, Apple does not offer such service for the iPad.
Chromebook will also offer a Flash plugin, something which is the iPad lacks. While there are ways to get flash on iPad, nothing beats the out of box experience.
Other advantages Chromebooks offer over iPad is USB storage, file manager and hardware keyboard. That said, we are skeptic about their success. Why?
- Chromebooks are good only for those who can live with web browser only computing.
- While cloud computing has taken off quite a bit, most consumers are not ready to leave everything in the cloud yet.
- Google says people who are fed up managing their desktops will go for Chromebook. Well, people have already replaced that with the iPad (or other tablets).
- People like to install apps on their personal devices and you cannot defeat the thousands of apps already available for the iPad.
- Cloud based computing can be done inside the very capable mobile safari browser that comes with the iPad
Another problem is reliability of cloud servers. For instance, Blogger service went down for more than 24 hours this week. If that happens in case of Chromebook, you will be left with a piece of brick.
So, while iPad may or may not be the best for doing productive work, Chromebooks are bound for failure. The big search engine giant just did not do the homework right this time.
Oh, and check out our iPad 2 vs Acer A500 comparison, if you like the openness of Android OS . Believe us, you will like our unbiased comparison. If you are Windows 7 fan and want it in a tablet, MSI 110W might be thing you are looking for. Check our comparison of this MSI tablet vs iPad to find out more about it.related terms: chromebook vs ipad, advantages of using a chrome book over ipad, ipad vs chrombook